Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Day -8 - Call it whatever you want, it's about becoming a healthier you!

When I decided to write this blog, I had no idea what all I wanted to say or call it or what I would write about every day? Who would want to read it anyway?

Well, I came to the conclusion:
-What to write? I will figure out what to write based on what I'm feeling that day, what my struggle is, my latest highs/lows, or what others are sharing with me. Anyone that knows me, knows I'm never at a loss for words, it's a MADDEN thing :).
-Who will read it? Well I hope that this inspires at least 1 person to take the step with me to become healthier in 2010! I know there is at least 1 person reading it, after all I have 2 daughters and a husband and they HAVE to read it :)! This journaling is a big part of this journey for me.
-What to name it? Well, I thought about creating this blog on the drive home from the Christmas weekend in Morton.....I kept trying to think of a "clever, catchy" name, but decided it was more important to move forward than spend 2 weeks thinking up just the right name.. Often in my effort to do things "right" I'm frozen in how to proceed.

The name "The Weight is Over" was inspired by a TV show my sister, Sharon, once starred in. It was an episode of TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE, an old TV series. She played "Betsy", a recluse trapped in her house, who talked to her plants and ate nonstop. This particular episode was called LOVE HUNGRY. The phone would ring and this eery voice would say "Betsy, your "weight" is over...followed by the deliveryman, dropping off packages at her door. She ended up with a hearing device that made the food speak to her and glasses (that wouldn't come off, once she put them on) that made the food come alive....kind of like the old "twilight zone" episodes for those of us out there that remember that show..... Anyway, it was a wild show that I still have on an old VHS tape :) if anyone wants to borrow it.... So let me clarify, that show did NOT inspire me to lose weight, it was oddly entertaining, simply because my sister was in it; rough ending for sure...... but good choice of words "your weight is over".

So "The weight is over" to me says a lot of things.....
I'm not waiting any longer to:
-get healthier
-lose those extra pounds and keep them off
-take time for myself
-attain my goals
-feel good about who I am and what I'm doing

This is my opportunity and yours too - what the heck are we waiting for? Well, okay, you can wait a few more days, as the official "starting" date is January 7th, but like anything else, big things in your life take some planning.....this is my "planning" stage - trying to think ahead about what is coming, what will I do, how will I handle it, what will keep me going, etc etc etc.... What kind of planning are you doing for 2010?

That is where WE come in....together we can do it. This blog is about sharing successes and challenges, ups and downs, laughs and also when things don't seem so funny....so hope you keep reading and keep sharing.

More great tips to think about......
-Mom always said to not eat between meals or after dinner (Thanks Claudia)
-No carbs in the evening after work (Thanks Joyce)
-An apple a day keeps the doctor away and the weight too (Thanks Becky)

As we say goodbye to 2009, we welcome 2010 full of opportunities ahead to change our lives and be healthier and happier!

More tomorrow...you won't believe some of the "weight loss" secrets or successes you can hear on TV - thank goodness for Christmas vacation - time to catch up on all the good stuff....more tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Mo, I love it! What a perfect name! I am sooo excited for you! And for all of the inspiration that will be generated from this blog! great job - great idea! love it.
    & LOVE YOU!
    Molly
    (ps/ Be Italian!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo- I can hardly "weight"! gotta love the puns:) I'm SOOO proud of you. I want to join in on your journey. My fun shopping trip to the mall with one of by best friends and personal fashion consultant, Katie Sommer, was another eye opener to me to GET BACK to working out. And mostly toning...a tip to add: When friends or strangers comment on how good/great you look-even sometimes that you've lost weight- use it as an extra boost to continue your work out and healthy eating plan INSTEAD of an EXCUSE to eat another cookie or skip the gym. I've learned the hard way:( And I've also learned that as I get older, it DOES get harder. Toasties to you!

    ps. I was thinking it'd be fun to start a Winter Workout sesion at THE ROCK'S GYM. At least 1-2 times/week to start...Tues and/or Thur about 6:30p and 1 weekend day. Any takers?! all are welcome and gym membership fee is COMMITMENT and ACCOUNTABILITY!
    Love ya and that you're losin' (weight),
    Allison :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this blog is fantastic! thanks for sharing...You go, girl! i feel inspired.

    ReplyDelete