Thursday, December 31, 2009

Day -7 - To "resolve" or to "not resolve" - what are you doing about a resolution for 2010? It's easy, 2 words, COMMIT YOURSELF!

As I sit here on December 31st, 2009, with the hours ticking away to the new year, I think about this year, what I did, what I didn't do, what I should have done, what I shouldn't have done....
bottom line is, don't look back, don't have regrets, learn from the past and live in the present!

That brings me to looking ahead.... whether you turn on the tube, or browse the net or read the paper (yes, there are those of us that actually still read the newspaper instead of reading it online :)), today is all about resolutions....

The dictionary defines resolution in several ways, but I have chosen 3 that seem most appropriate to me:


2. a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
3. the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.
4. the mental state or quality of being resolved or resolute; firmness of purpose.

While I never have been really good at resolutions (well of course for the first week I am :), I do think they provide a great opportunity to set some goals and strive to attain them... Maybe it should be "what I won't do this year" instead of "what I will do this year". But even better, I like to break it down to 1 day at a time, so if you make a resolution to either do or not do something going forward, tackle it 1 day at a time. Life is so much easier when you break it down into chunks :)

So my resolutions are to get healthier, live in the moment, read more and to live 1 day at a time, embracing this gift called life!
Will you have to remind me about these resolutions from time to time,
OF COURSE!
Will I follow every 1 of them daily,
OF COURSE NOT!
But I will try and that is what counts to me.....
What are you resolving to do or not do in 2010?

Yesterday, I mentioned that I wanted to share some ideas from some individuals who lost more than HALF THEIR WEIGHT this year - YIKES! That is amazing, isn't it?! I listened to 3 individuals who shared some good insights on their journey...

1. Weighed in at 290 and lost 155 pounds - Her secret was to "commit yourself" -
Just 2 little words, which sound so easy, don't they? Her other comments were:
-eat healthy
-Make it happen, YOU have control
-for stress outlets, take a walk or go exercise
She worked out totally at home and has been overweight since 5 years old!
What an amazing story - this could be OUR story in 2010!!!

2. Weighed in at 360 and lost 180 pounds in 15 months!
-Used beachbody.com videos (Hmmm, may check those out - have to shake up your workouts along the way - might be fun!) He did this because he was ashamed to go to the gym :(
-He was a closet eater and he had weak moments (like we all do and will!) but remembered that every day is a challenge and now at his goal weight, allows himself "cheat days".

3. Wieghted in at 326 and lost 178 pounds. Her goal was to "look good in a pair of jeans"!
-She said that when she was heavy, she always felt like everyone was watching her to see what she ate or even what she put in her cart at the grocery store. Now as a thin person, she still can see the rest of the world continues to do that, but just no longer to her.....hmmmm, am I guilty of being on either end?
-She never ate veggies until now! So that tells me, it is never too late for anything! You can change ANYTHING if YOU put your MIND to it!

So, on the last day of 2010, take some time and have a talk with yourself about what you envision for YOU for 2010! Whatever it is, hold yourself accountable! Be kind to yourself as there may be slips and dips on the journey, but that is FINE! Just pick yourself up, enlist a friend for help, and keep moving towards your goal whatever it is! YOU are the only obstacle in reaching your goal - don't let YOU stand in your way to whatever you wish for in 2010!!!

Let's do this together......make a commitment today....

Wishing you all the joy, good health and laughter that you can possibly hold in 2010!
God's blessing to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment