Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 80 - When the going gets tough.....find your MOMENTUM!

Wow, it has now been 80 days or so since I started this journey.....seems impossible in some ways. Some of this seems so routine now, yet sometimes things are still a struggle..

What's routine?
-Knowing I need to go to the gym almost daily
-Knowing that I need to watch everything that goes into that pie hole...you would think that would be getting easier, and in many ways it is, for example, I don't even consider that big old chocolate cake or candy bar that I see someone else eating....however I must confess (it's the Catholic in me) that I did eat a couple of chips and salsa last night out with the girls....and I feel guilty about it! But I already told myself, I would make myself pay for that at the gym today! But I also chose the roasted chicken and had a few beans and guacamole, along with a side of cabbage and green bean salad (doesn't sound that great, but it was tasty!) - I guess I have been so incredibly "clean" with my diet, having a few "minor compromises" really scares me.... Once I get to my goal weight, THEN I need to figure out how to start adding back some food that I like in moderation.....MAINTENANCE is the term Weight Watchers always called it....
Going out to eat has been ok for me, as there is always something on the menu you can find that is okay.....as long as you make the right choice...
-Knowing I want to be successful at this and working towards my goal - having my clothes fit a bit looser and going into the "next size" in my closet (doesn't EVERYONE have multiple sizes in their closet - ha!).....for me the trick is to put those "big clothes" away as soon as there is too much room, and put the next "tighter size" on, so you don't think you have lots of "growing room"! It has been so rewarding to get into another size and definitely gives me some inspiration to keep going....

Struggle......
Ironically some of the same things that are "routine" are sometimes a struggle.....

Time - Fitting it all in is tough.......it would be so easy at the end of a long work day, just to go home, have dinner and relax......but instead I work hard at balancing my work day, enabling me to get my work done (NEVER successful at that, is anyone!?!?), leave work in time to head to the gym to get a good workout in, and still get home before it's time to go to bed!

Preparing your food - This is a MUST for me...that is, having something available at all times to eat, JUST IN CASE....the other night I got home from the gym....starving! It would have been so easy to get into the chips or better yet, the frozen Girl Scout cookies, but instead I popped my fish in the oven and my veggies on the stove and LEFT the kitchen! I kept myself busy with the dogs and other stuff, and within 20 minutes or so, I had my baked fish and full plate of veggies and was quite satisfied! I also must prepare for breakfast and lunch at work - although I'm fortunate, there is a nice cafeteria at work, that does offer plenty of options for me, it is just so much better when I plan ahead and have lots of good food ready, especially when sitting on conference calls all day!

Momentum - How do you "keep it going"?! I have tremendous support at home and work and feel very fortunate! The clothes fitting loser, the positive comments about your results, the way you feel, all help! But the momentum seriously must keep coming from INSIDE! It is really about what you WANT for yourself, how you want to CHANGE, WHY you want to do this! That is really where the momentum comes, especially when you need help to get through that last 30 minutes at the gym, or to help you walk away from that Easter candy that is in a bowl just an arm's length away.....No, momentum isn't always readily available....sometimes you have to hunt for it, just like Easter eggs :)..................... that's when you remember WHY you need it and what a good FRIEND it has been for you on your journey...

So today, on this rainy Sunday, while my daughter is out running 12 miles in the rain, preparing for her 1/2 marathon 2 weeks from today, I am going to FIND my momentum, not just for my workout today, but also to catch up on lots of other things around here...i.e. laundry, cleaning, some work stuff, to name a few.....

Just for today, can you FIND your MOMENTUM and put it to work for YOU today?! What are you waiting for?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment