Sunday, April 18, 2010

Day 102 - Changing MY world, 1 bowl and trot at a time...

Ok, so what the heck do I mean with that title?! I know, sometimes my titles are a bit strange to say the least, but I have to pull you in with something!? Although I'm not sure if anyone (other than my family who has to - ha!) is still reading this blog, after all, it is over 100 days now!!!

So, I learned something big this weekend......even though I was extremely disappointed that I'm NOT in Abu Dhabi yet, playing with Hannah and Eva (and Luis and Em too of course!), I did make the most of a few unexpected days off at home....

My dear friend Terry, just went through breast cancer surgery and is doing AWESOME! But she is amazing, so not a surprise to see her incredible determination go full steam ahead with this journey! So I thought this was a perfect opportunity to make her a meal now instead of waiting until I returned from my trip....she just had surgery this past week...so this is leading in to my DISCOVERY....

1. Did you know that you can make TEXAS CAKE without LICKING the bowl, before you put it in the dishwasher?! Bigger surprise, you can put the icing bowl IN the dishwasher WITHOUT licking that too!? I wouldn't have believed it either, but I experienced it this weekend......I guess you could say I BEAT THE BOWL AND BEATERS! LOL! Now many of you are thinking this is absurd, but for those SWEET ADDICTS and BAKERS, you KNOW exactly what I'm talking about.... I must say CUTTING the cake was a little bit tougher, but I had just a small taste, will have to conquer that part later....I sent all the cake somewhere so I did get it out of the house, but doesn't it figure, Kelly took a plateful to the Trivia game night last night and this morning, some of that dang cake was staring back at me when I woke up today...but I just said NO to that plate and went on to the next discovery....

2. Did you know that you can RUN when you are "walking your dog"? Yesterday, Kelly, aka Jillian from Biggest Loser, went on the 2 mile walk with Charlotte and me.....I wanted her to "inspire" me to move a bit faster on my walk.....as we started climbing the hill to the top of our street (honestly, when did Mount Everest move to St. Louis?!?), she turned to me and said, "let's go mom".....YIKES! GO WHERE?! Up this mountain?! With me and what vehicle? My 2 legs?
Those old wobbly things? Ok, let's go.....
Well, RUNNING may be a bit strong, I like to call it TROTTING......envision the Clydesdales...without all the leg fur.....Off we went, trotting up the hill, me gasping for air...
Ever since my radiation, hills are KILLERS! But I just kept trying the breathe in through your nose and slowly exhale out your mouth....and it WORKED!

But that little snot, when we got to the top of Mount Everest (actually Burlewood Drive), I was ready to walk, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, she said, come on, let's keep GOING.
WHAT?! Are you KIDDING ME?! Going where.....to an oxygen park?!

But you know how the roles change and all of the sudden our kids are telling us what to do...
well off I kept going, trotting and puffing and breathing.....to the next subdivision where the Drill Seargeant allowed me to stop trotting and walk a nice brisk pace....We kept alternating between trotting and walking until we finished our 2 miles....

ALLELUIA! 56 years and I'm trotting....I don't care if apparently I am a "slow learner" (that is what they say when you don't do something at the "right age" but eventually get there), I am there!

This morning, I did it AGAIN just to make sure I wasn't dreaming this whole TROTTING business....Charlotte and I (the drill seargeant had another something to go to...) took off and did the 2 miles....trotting and walking all the way....who knows, I may end up liking this after all..

So leaving this afternoon for Dubai and some time with the kids...can't wait....

Until tomorrow, try out one of those "trots" yourself......and just say NO to any bowls that come your way!!!! Enjoy this beautiful Sunday...I will...all the way to Dubai!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment