Sunday, April 11, 2010

Day 94 - GO St. Louis!!!!!! Congrats to Kelly, Allison and the rest of the rock stars today!!!

Happy Sunday to everyone....weather is perfect.....sun is shining, Spring is here and the flowers are blooming....

Just got home from cheering on my daughter Kelly, niece Allison and all of their friends, on their 1/2 Marathon at GO! St. Louis downtown today.. WOW, what an accomplishment! Over 23,000 runners today...

As we stood there at the 13 mile marker, we cheered the runners on....runners of every shape, size and age..It was phenomenal to see the diversity in the runners, reminding us all that it just takes YOU to make it happen...

There was a "juggler" that had juggled the entire 13.1 miles! There was a beautiful lady in a wheelchair, being pushed by possibly her daughter...both smiling and proud of where they were and what they were doing....I read in the paper about a handsome 20 year old young man, diagnosed with Autism, who was also running..

It was a beautiful day, surrounded by support and love, energy and determination.....all either there to run or there to support..just the way life should be..cheering people on whether you know them or not, supporting others that need it when they need it...

As 1 young woman struggled past us at the 13 mile mark, it was clear to see she was having a hard time with the last tenth of a mile, but she was pushing her way to the finish line...at first I thought perhaps she had pulled a muscle, but my sister thought she was about to go down and sure enough, as we looked to our right, 15 feet away, she suddenly fell to the ground... Immediately, the runners at her side, STOPPED in the last 10th of the mile of THEIR race and went to her aid, but found that even with 2, they couldn't get her back up...luckily some of the volunteers and spectators on the sidelines jumped in and within minutes, she was whisked away in an ambulance...

I thought to myself, omg, she made it to over 13 miles and literally went down in the last 10th of a mile...
Life can be like that sometimes as we know, especially on this journey we are taking...we give it our ALL, try hard to FINISH, but sometimes go DOWN right before the end in spite of our best efforts.... I said a prayer for that girl, wherever she is now, I'm praying that some water and rest brought her back to full health again....

My daughter Kelly, had her own challenges on the race today as she was approaching mile 12 (mile 11 to 12 had been totally uphill), and really pushing it...she started throwing up.....although she said she did get some strange looks from those runners ahead as she started dry heaving and kept running, but eventually had to stop to throw up, poor thing! But then got right back in the race again and had a great finish....still waiting for her final time..

So the message today is FINISH, however you can, WHENEVER you can, just make it to YOUR finish line! After years of "finish what's on your plate, children in China are starving" (I never really did understand what those leftover vegetables on my plate had to do with them, as I knew we weren't sending them to China!), "finish what you start", "last one to finish is a rotten egg" (that was painful one as a child!)....we should have learned that lesson by now...

Today was just a reminder of how important it is to do just that FINISH! But my message isn't about being the FIRST to finish, but rather just to FINISH... and being proud of finishing...,..

Just for today, what are you going to finish!? I have so many things left to finish, let's see where should I start.....the dishes, the laundry, the blog, the powerpoints for work, packing for my trip to Abu Dhabi this week......and oh yeah, my LOSE A TON contest.....down to the last few weeks...I guarantee you I'm going to FINISH that!!!

Have a great Sunday...and with that, I just FINISHED the blog for today :) - YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment