Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day 16 - Mental or physical - I think both....

As much as I LOVE writing this blog, sometimes it is hard to fit it into my day....but I will definitely find the time as this provides such a great opportunity to share and dare....

Share all the challenges, fears, hopes, concerns, victories, challenges and of course, funny stories..
Dare you all to do the same!

So, since the big weigh in, I have been trying to bump up my level of workout...not necessarily timewise although I'm trying to add more minutes to build up my strength and endurance, but also put more into each workout....when my body feels like it is DONE, I'm trying to talk myself into 5 more minutes....just the same way my trainer, Tyler, does it.... I SWEAR when he sees me grabbing all I have and the sweat is dripping, that is when I hear "Okay, 10 more" or "5 more" if he really sees me fading....But now I know that is a GOOD thing....

I was talking to my neighbor, Randy, at the gym this morning....He is a runner and is participating in the "biggest loser" challenge at his work....not sure what he is trying to lose, but we all have some "storage deposits" somewhere we are anxious to part with...
I told him that I seriously have never pushed myself like this before. Mind you, I'm not going overboard here, but I really am starting to understand what "pushing yourself" is all about.
Before this experience, I would get a bit winded and there was a button inside of me that went off and said STOP, ENOUGH, YOU NEED TO SIT DOWN.....Now I realize I should have YANKED that button out of my head and thrown it away, as that was just when I was getting started.

Like last night for example, I was TIRED after another LONG day at work and long week....
about 7 1/2 hours on conference calls yesterday and squeezing emails etc inbetween the calls...so after 10 hours, I left work to head to the gym......I didn't even think about not going - let's face it, I know I have to FACE THE SCALE on TV - if that isn't motivation, nothing is! Sad, isn't it?!? Anyway, I got to the gym and was so tired and seriously knew I was going to do it, but also knew it was going to be tough as I was TIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!! I started with the ARC trainer, sort of a "skier" motion eliptical - bumped up to level 3 on interval and took off...whew those minutes were barely moving by.....finished my 30 minutes, wiped down the machine and headed to the next beast....the treadmill. That sucker beat me at the last challenge, so I needed to get more acquainted with it....so on I jumped (well JUMPED is rather a strong word here.....) and started at 3.2, then 3.5....got a steady quick walking pace of 3.5 and then every few minutes, would bump it to 4.0 for a minute run....then back to 3.5 or somewhere inbetween....just trying to keep my heart rate moving up and down....and that it was.... after 35 minutes later, I was really sweating but glad I had done it! At that point, I was tired, and very wet (I finally think that is a GOOD thing, the more I sweat, the more I feel I did!)....and that's when I thought, OKAY WHAT ELSE DO YOU HAVE LEFT IN YOU? So I moved over to the eliptical and finished it off with another 15 minutes... I was AMAZED, once I hoisted the old body up there and started going, I found some ENERGY I had stored down in some fat pockets somewhere....

THAT'S WHEN I REALIZED THE WHOLE MENTAL PART...don't get me wrong, the physical part is definitely a piece of this too, so for me, it is about balancing the 2 of them....AND MAKING SURE THE MENTAL PART REMINDS THE PHYSICAL PART TO KEEP GOING....

Today I was at the gym by 745a, warming up for my trainer to beat me up for an hour....and he came through with flying colors :).....Up, down, up down, planks, wall pushups, squats, lunges, weights....and some more BOXING! I love the boxing but it is hard - we moved on to jabs, hooks and undercuts....the coordination thing was a bit funny, but the workout was tough and great!!
I sure will look at boxing differently from now on - wow, that is expending some energy for sure!

Then off to the grocery store to load up on veggies, fruit, string cheese, yogurt, lean meat, fish....I barely recognized my basket....I was so proud of it - haha! The funniest part was when the checkout guy commented on all the fruits and veggies - he said "I'd like to see what your blood sugar is!"......Okay, not much of a pick up line...but it was great to hear! I didn't mention about what USED to be in the basket along with the fruits and veggies.....I think that was obvious from what is still hanging off my thighs, stomach etc, so no need to tell that.....but getting there...

So for today, challenge that MENTAL side as well as your PHYSICAL side! When you are tired and think you are done, go just 5 minutes more, WE CAN DO THIS! Have a great healthy, fun weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment