Thursday, January 7, 2010

True confessions of an "ex" dieter.......

True confessions, huh? Sounds like I've been reading too many magazines in the grocery checkout....but on this journey of honesty and health, I just HAVE to share this, painful as it is...

So today was the official "weigh in". I took 1/2 vacation day and went over to Christian NE Hospital for my 1pm "weigh in" and nutrition class. Last night, I kept thinking about the "big day". This morning, after waking up to lots of snow, I hurried into work for my 7a conference call, followed by another one starting at 8a until 12n..... I got to work about 640a, hoping to grab some breakfast - come on, it was my last opportunity before WEIGH IN! By the time I got settled in, I grabbed some hot tea, but didn't have time to get to the cafeteria for breakfast, so I pulled open my trusty desk drawer and found a weight watcher's muffin. I ate 1/2 of it, my stomach was a little upset, I'm sure "pre weigh in jitters".....so fast forward 4 hours and all of the sudden it is 12:05p, I'm still at work, and need to be up at Christian Northeast by 1pm! It is snowing a bit, plus we still have plenty on the roads, so up I jump and out I run to the car....

I get in the car and suddenly realize, I have barely eaten a thing today and I'm HUNGRY! But I don't really have time to eat,,,, but I have to eat......but I don't have time to eat (this is me talking to me myself in the car :)..... So I head into Dierbergs, and immediately found myself in front of the....well....ummmmmmm..........err.....................KRISPY KREMES.....

You know my sister Kathy and I always made it a point to stop for a Hostess snack on our way to the first Weight Watchers weigh in.....crazy thing I know, but it is just something the "dieters" do....anybody out there relate??????

Anyway, back to Dierbergs and me face to face with the whole shelf of KRISPY KREMES staring at me, daring me to partake.....well, I convinced myself, I don't have time for anything else, except maybe some low fat chocolate milk.....GREAT LUNCH HUH!? Pathetic story, but a "true confession of an ex dieter".... So I get in the car and head out to the highway.....and started eating the donut and realized it wasn't what I wanted at all....I NEVER had the intention of eating all 6 of them, but that is the only way you can buy them...I figured I would eat a couple and bring the rest into work...you know work, it's like "Mikey" they will eat "anything" :)... So YES, I ate 1 donut (yes, I stopped at 1!) and drank some of the milk (chocolate milk is my "drink of choice" so had to have that too!) and then put it all away.....I knew I was done with the KK (don't want to keep typing out that name and tempting anyone out there) and also the rest of the milk.....It didn't make me feel any better and I knew it wasn't doing much for my arteries.....

I got to the "Diabetes Institute" at Christian NE hospital (ironic that we were meeting at the Diabetes Institute after my "donut" lunch), brushed off the donut crumbs and marched up all the steps (yes, took the steps, instead of the ramp, I just ate a donut, remember?).....We weighed in without a camera - it didn't disappoint me too much - ha! Turns out the cameras will be there for all weigh ins going forward, so when we weigh in on Jan 19th (and it airs the following Friday) the cameras will be rolling.... Had an awesome nutrition class (happy to share all the details of it with any that are interested but will share more details in my next blog) .... I noticed that donuts weren't mentioned in the nutrition class and I didn't choose to share my "lunch details" with the group either...although I wonder how many of them had their "last lunch" on the way..... The stop at Dierbergs wasn't planned at all, I had brought some soup for lunch but when the time got away from me, I just made a poor choice....

I guess that just reminds me of the need for PLANNING AHEAD! I thought all the PLANNING was done, but it is only beginning....After I left the Diabetes Institute, I went straight to Schnucks....this time, no donut, no chocolate milk....but lots of fruits, veggies, chicken....I will be prepared for breakfast, lunch and dinner tomorrow! Tonight I head to the gym to meet my trainer, 7pm..... today i learned about the lactic acid build up after working out (and thus the soreness that follows) so the solution is drinking LOTS of water, during and after the workout, followed by some protein afterwards to help repair the muscles I will be tearing at 7pm (DID THEY HAVE TO TELL ME MY MUSCLES WOULD BE TEARING?!?!!?)....

So for those that see me every day, you will recognize me coming in tomorrow and the day after and after, I will be walking a little slower, especially up/down the steps, but I'll be there and each day will get a bit easier I know!

And by the way, I"M NOT DIETING, I"M CHANGING my lifestyle.... I have heard a million times...and I know "diets don't work!" - Even if they do, the weight will come right back when I stop the "diet"....so I'm choosing to not call it a "diet" and thus "true confessions of an "EX" dieter!

Until tomorrow, when I share some of the great tips I learned today about nutrition and a bit more about the other competitors.....make it a good day, get some exercise, eat some veggies and JUST SAY NO to donuts!

PS Exciting news - my good friend Debby is already starting her weight loss program....she is drinking lots of water and cutting back on her portions! Another friend asked me to share more about the diet as she plans to follow along as well.... I think that is the most exciting thing about all of this - WE CAN DO THIS TOGETHER!

I'll leave you with an amazing quote that my sweet sister Sharon sent me...she always knows just what to do or say....this is about COMMITMENT - so perfect timing...thanks Sharon - miss you!

ON COMMITMENT
Until one is committed, there is the chance to draw back, always ineffective, concerning all acts of initiative (and creation). There is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: That the moment one commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issue forth from the decision, raising in one’s favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would come his way.
Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has a genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now.
GOETHE

4 comments:

  1. we need tee's that say "Just say no to Donuts!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have gone straight to White Castle. Look into getting a Wii. It's an incredibly enjoyable way to work out. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered the blog! Look forward to reading it :).

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you can do this Maureen. I'll be one of your biggest supporters and followers. You Go Girl! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete