Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 8 - What's new?

What's new? Gosh, I must use that question over and over in conversations with friends, neighbors, kids, etc.....but I know sometimes, I just don't really realize all that is REALLY NEW!?

For example, if you asked me what's new in the last 8 days since I started this journey, I would have lots of new things to name:

-Muscle soreness - Now that is something I haven't had (unfortunately) for a LONG time, but don't worry, I'm definitely making up for "lost sore muscle time"....I'm actually glad to know that the time I'm putting in is causing something to start happening to my muscles!

-New workout clothes :) - Thanks Kelly for my birthday clothes and Doug too! What a treat to not be wearing my 10 year old sweats!

-More energy - Although I drag into the gym sometimes, I definitely pick up my step on the way out and that's not because I'm trying to run away from the trainer! No doubt about it, working out gives you more energy and also helps rid the stress!

-Healthier meals are definitely new! I thought I was doing okay before but now it seems that I have most of the processed foods out of my diet....feels good, i'm full and satisfied and don't even really miss the well, I hate to say the word outloud, but it starts with a "cho" and ends with "late" with a "c" in the middle.....btw, had my very first "black bean burger" today - OMG, I had no idea what I was missing - with a little pico de gallo on the side YUM!!!!!!!!! If you haven't tried one, I would recommend it...they took a while to cook it at work, and as I saw it on the grill, it looked like this flat, burnt disc that I could sail through the air...but once I got it on the plate, it was toasted perfectly on the outside and great on the inside with a little salsa for dipping with broccoli and cauliflower on the side!
Don't be turning your nose up, you haven't even tried it yet! Be adventurous!

-More determination - My Lose a Ton group is ironically named "Determined Divas" - I didn't come up with the name, but it suits us! That determination came in handy tonight as I trudged into the gym after working from 6a-430p....I got on the elipical and was going to go to 30 minutes and then head to another machine....when i started the machine, it automatically went to 60 minutes and I thought well I will just stop it at 30. and move to another machine for the last 15 minutes ...but as I was puffing along, I decided I could do this, I could make it 60 minutes on the eliptical.....and I kept the pace up with interval hills....at 41 minutes into it, I was watching Friends episodes and the commercials went from some "skinny" pill that they were advertising to Hershey Kisses on the next ad...at that point, I decided I was just going to go "whole hog" and make it to 60.....By this point, the news was on and it was all on Haiti...as I watched the tremendous pain and suffering going on there, I pedaled ahead in thanksgiving and prayer for all I had - I was choosing to stand there and sweat, with water at my side and a towel to wripe my brow.... how lucky I was! If I couldn't finish this small task vs what these people are up against....well I just knew I had to at this point! So as I pedaled to 60 minutes, I was so happy and proud of myself....then it went to 5 more "cool down" minutes....but I stayed on to the end..and about fell off the machine after that.....

-Another thing new is the KSDK Channel 5 Website - Under the "programming" tab > Show Me St. Louis > Lose a Ton - it's all updated now with the bios we wrote and all the videos taken to date....I'm part of Group 1 and we have our first team challenge next Monday at the Ballwin Club Fitness, don't know what we will be doing, but looking forward to it! There's also a link on the website that will show you all my "competitors"...I have my work cut out for me, that's for sure!
It is a great group of determined women I'm up against, but I"m giving it my best shot!http://www.ksdk.com/sales/splash/lose_ton/default.aspx?menuid=129

Our first weigh is in next Tuesday, so I'm making this long 3 day weekend count with some hard workouts each day! Bottom 2 women with the lowest percentage of weight loss from each team are up for elimination....I don't want that to be me!!! 1 woman from each team will be leaving the on air competition 1 week from today....who goes home is based on who is voted on to stay! More on that later...

Continuing on with "what's new"......

What's new are all of the exciting health updates from friends lately...

-My friend Julie and her family are going to be part of a Wash University weight study - sounds like a tremendous opportunity for the whole family! I'm with you all the way Julie!
-My friend Stacey has managed to lose enough weight that her brand new "Christmas jeans" are already too big - WOW - awesome news!
-My friend Sarah continued her weight loss through the holidays and has lost more weight since the 1st of the year - GO SARAH!
-Another friend at work is doing a healthy eating plan as well and actually detoxifying along the way...
-My friend Debby is watching her portion control and "dancing" at night - she prefers dancing over exercise and either works as it gets us off the couch!

These are just a few of the "new things" I've heard that are going on....what's new with you? PLEASE share with us your inspiring victories as we all travel on this road to better health and loose pants :).

Until tomorrow, prayers for my cousin and Aunt as we say goodbye to my sweet Uncle Charles who passed away today - we will dearly miss him - he was a wonderful man....prayers and hope and peace for all in Haiti
and
wishing everyone that whatever is NEW in your life - brings you the hope, peace and strength you need on your journey and that you share it with the rest of us!

1 comment:

  1. yeahhh for you!!
    A few fyi's abt the burger at work:
    1. its a Morning Star burger so you can buy them at home (and see the calories)
    2. Have them make it on whole grain bread, and lose the mayo/red pepper sauce, it does not need it.
    3. makes sure they give you the works. sprouts, tomato's etc.
    4. my secret, I sprinkle about 8 dried cranberries on mine and it's so good.
    that's it.
    you are doing such a great job and are such an inspiration to us all
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete