Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 2 - We've only just begun (sing along with the Carpenters...)

Day 2 - Wow, didn't know I could get quite this sore in just 2 days....well actually 3, as I did meet with my trainer for a mini workout on Thursday; 45 minutes on Friday (3o on the eliptical - miracle! and 15 after that on the bike) and then today............well today may take a bit longer than a 1/2 sentence...

Got to the gym at 745a, as my trainer wanted me to do 10 minutes on the bike before we started our workout....I did 15 :) minutes and then met up with my trainer..
Then it started...... Tyler (my trainer) took me through a series of things from step up/down on the steps to using some of the machines, to using the hand weights.....squats....weights....big ball....variations of push ups.....I was working up quite a sweat and huffing and puffing but kept on going....I could hear all those biggest loser shows rerunning in my head.....it is up to you, you can do it...blah blah blah....I especially started hearing the "blah blah blah" part...

Tyler had planned a 10 minute warmup, and 35 minute workout today followed by another 30 minutes on the bike.... I had finished with a few "planks" OMG, those were painful.....and was on the last exercise...
Squat down (by this time, I could barely squat from the last 3 days feeling every inch I went down but I kept trying) with weighted ball in hand - touch the right side of my right foot and then come up (which hurts coming up as bad as squating down) while lifting the freakin weighted ball with me and lifting it up over my head to the left!

Sounds a lot easier when I type it, but it was hard and I was just finishing up on the right side and all of the sudden......I felt like I was on the Biggest Loser on their "last chance workout", I thought I was going to PUKE!

I didn't say anything right away but then realized if I didn't, he probably wouldn't be happy if it just happened right there....I was looking around to find the nearest trash can, JUST IN CASE, and he could tell, something wasn't right....so I said "have you ever had anyone throw up while you were training them?" I seriously can't even remember now what he said -other than asking if I was having "cold sweats" too....which I wasnt... but remember he told me to go into the locker room and "take whatever time I need".....what a nice guy.....I walked in there with my tail between my legs, thinking, YOU LOSER! I went and got a drink and sat in the locker room for 1 minute (watching the clock) and then went back out there......He decided to not do my left side on that last exercise, although I believe I did offer..

We then went and sat for a few minutes and went through lots of nutrition/diet tips and plans..
Followed by another 35 minutes on the bike...
I had about 5 minutes left on the bike and this guy who must have been about 90 years old (well maybe 80, but he was older than me by several years!) sat down on the bike next to me......I guess he thought this was the "senior workout area".....

When I finally got off the bike, my legs were a bit shaky, but I tried to act perfectly natural making my way to the locker room, grabbing my stuff and trying to walk out of there.....wish I could have taped me, as I can imagine that I was walking a little stiff along the way...kind of like when you get numbed up at the dentist and don't think anyone can tell...

So I came home, drank lots of water (heard that helps get the lactic acid out of your body which is what makes you sore...I think I have that right), fixed a protein shake (yum, my brother Michael, who is a phenomenal Chiropractor among many other things, fixed me up with the Metagenics Ultra Meal - chocolate of course, and I popped a frozen banana and ice chips and some water and put in the blender - delicious!)....I heard Carbs before a workout (i had a banana - something light a bit before you work out) and protein afterwards (to help with the "tearing muscle" thing I told you about the other day - well now I understand the "tearing" part better)

So it has been about 12 hours since my last workout, and i feel great until I start to get up or sit down...I did come home, go to lunch with some friends, go to the store, cleaned the bathroom, cleaned the kitchen floor, moved some Christmas dec tubs.....but it is just that dang getting up and down that is bad (I may need to get one of those HIGH toilet seats -ha - that will save me getting one in about 20 years)

The first show aired yesterday on SHOW ME ST. LOUIS - channel 5 at 3pm. The website indicated that they will be airing our workouts on tuesday, eliminations on wednesday.....but as soon as I get more details, I'll pass it along. We meet every Monday (the whole group) at the same gym or some random location to do a challenge - they will alternate the gym 1 Monday and a "challenge location" the next.... the rest of the week we all go to our own gym locations and work with our individual trainers. The Monday workouts/challenges will be filmed and supposedly shown on Tuesdays on the Show Me St. Louis 3pm shows....In the meantime, I will be meeting with my trainer 4 days a week and 2 days on my own at the gym...he wants me to rest my weary bones/muscles and leftover fat on 1 day of the week.

Looks like the group of 12 women in the contest range from early 20's to mid 50's....I may be the "senior" on board. The weight range is from the 160's to 1 person just over 300 pounds.....my weight is 189, so I fall in the middle.....yes, that is my "high" weight, the exact same weight I started when I did Weight Watchers a few years ago and lost 30 pounds...and kept most of it off until last Spring.....
Just got an email yesterday that said I'm in "group 1" so they are breaking the 12 women into 2 teams for the challenges - should be fun!

Well, having a late dinner tonight, but no CARBS after lunch....so will opt for some protein and veggies, which sounds delicious - I'm hungry!

Until tomorrow, fit in some exercise, rest, fun, and healthy eating....."we've only just begun" but we are on our way!!


PS I noticed that 9 of the 12 contestants videos are now on the KSDK CHannel 5 website, but apparently me and 2 others have not been uploaded yet...if they upload them I will let you know in case you want to see how "Day 1" on the air went....

1 comment:

  1. Maureen, Be Proud of what you have accomplished so far, you were at the gym Saturday morning at 7:45!!! that is dedication.. I spent Friday Night and Saturday morning looking for you on the KSDK web site...glad I am not losing my mind.. Keep up the good work... I look forward to reading your "blog" every day...

    ReplyDelete