Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 4 - 56 years ago...................

Guess what I got for my birthday today? PLANKS! Actually PAINFUL PLANKS! If you don't know what they are, let me describe them for you......

Get face down on the ground, and lay out on your forearms, with your hands fisted (maybe he had me fist mine because I kept trying to clasp my hands - now I realize I was probably trying to say a quick prayer for some gravity to help hold me up off the ground!), arms shoulder width apart......extend your legs all the way behind you and get on your toes (mind you, you are facing the floor), then (AND THIS IS THE HARD PART) drop your butt down so you are even with the floor, YES YOU READ THAT RIGHT - EVEN WITH THE FLOOR, just barely hovering above it, and then just HOLD! ACtually, he should have told me to HOLD AND SHAKE....because you see, as you are "planking", any excess fat on your body begins to try to shake off, first a little and the longer you PLANK, the more shaking you have going on.....about that time, the trainer says "HOLD 20 more seconds or we will have to START OVER" - ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? START OVER!!!! NO WAY, I"LL JUST SHAKE AND HOLD, thank you...

BUT, THE GOOD NEWS (and there is always good news :)), is:

I DEED IT! (that is the way my precious little Hannah says "I did it" .... and that is exactly what I said to myself every time I completed something at the group workout today.....

We met at the gym at 9a as we meet every Monday at 9am either at the gym or at some remote location for a "challenge". Today was the first week so it was at the gym and the cameras were rolling to catch all the proud moments....

First we lined up with our trainers and introduced both of us on camera....sounded so weird to say "and this is MY trainer, Tyler"......although I must admit, I'm getting to like the idea of having "my trainer"....hope it lasts longer than next week! Then we did a group shot and rolled the camera for a little footage of the workout....

I was so hoping he wouldn't film me doing any squats or lunges..seriously, I wasn't sure if I could ever sit down or get up again without pain after the last 4 days....I think my intense prayers at church were answered today because I awoke and could get out of bed much easier today. But I still didn't want the camera on me doing lunges or squats - people would think it was a comedy show they were watching! But once we started our individual workouts, I was so focused on trying to get through each exercise he had me do, I didn't even SEE the cameraman filming me, from the side, so he could capture the fact that I have 2 chins to work on & that I was kind of panting through the particular "push up" that he caught me on....but that's okay, maybe by the next time he films me, I'll be down to 1 3/4 chin.....and off the oxygen tank...

We went quickly from 1 thing to the next....I pulled the old body down on the floor, stand up, pull weights, push weights, run on the treadmill, jump off the treadmill, run on the treadmill, pushups, planks, did I mention "side planks" - those were fun too! Good news though, I did the "weighted ball exercise" today with a heavier ball - remember this was the one that about made me puke a few days ago, but I DEED it this time! Barely, but I made it.....

Then, he helped me stretch out...that was great....I think that will really help with some of the soreness although I did start feeling some of the "leftover torn muscles" tonight while having my birthday dinner of baked fish and vegetables...for my dessert I treated myself to a piece of celery with a tiny smear of smart balance peanut butter! YUM! And all this time, I thought I needed German Chocolate Cake...wait, did I actually say GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE??? as in the birthday cake my mom made me my whole life.....oh wait a minute, that is probably what I'm still carrying around...56 years of GC cake....ok, the celery was a much better choice.

It was great to finally start meeting some of the other contestants and start "bonding"...for anyone that knows me, you know I'm a "bonder". I must admit it was also good to see that all of us were worn out and had that "I was run over by a garbage truck" look at the end of the workout! But also good that we all got the job done! Lots of determination out there....

Speaking of "determination", our group 1's name is 'Determined Divas" vs Group 2 is "Fit & Fabulous"...Looking forward to next week when the Determined Divas take on Fit & FAbulous in the first challenge of the season....I don't know where or when yet, but will keep you posted here when I know...I had to resort to blogging every other day, as this fitness routine stuff takes a lot of time and I know you all want me to give it everything I got! I'm doing that, believe me, so whatever happens, I know I gave it my very best shot!!

But truly the best present of today was Hannah, my almost 3 year old granddaughter, who lives in the United Arab Emirates, calling me up and sing Happy Birthday to her "gamma"...ah yes, the whole workout was worth every second of pain and challenge tonight...because I want to be healthy and live a long time watching her and the one due in March and any others that will be coming later....grow up.....this is going to help me get there for sure!

BTW, today's filming is scheduled to be aired tomorrow on SHOW ME ST. LOUIS, 3pm on Channel 5...if you need an entertaining 30 minute show to watch, that may give you a few laughs and inspire you to remember that anyone can do this!!! YOU are the only obstacle in the way!

Thanks too to my sweet sister Kathy who made a totally healthy birthday dinner for me on Sunday and I just said NO to the cake that my cousin Cindy brought over...I was really glad to have the challenge of saying no and watching others eat it....it was okay actually and after they finished up their last crumbs, my friend Debby and I both were thankful it didn't go into our pieholes!

Until tomorrow, be thankful for each birthday, no matter the age, it is another year to enjoy all the blessings in your life and achieve all the dreams in your heart!

1 comment:

  1. It may have been painful, but you DEED it! We are SO proud of you! Keep kicking butt, Maureen, you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete